Redsnow 0.9.6b4 Jailbreak for iOS 4.2.1 Brings Cydia to 4.2 Firmware
Until now, redsnow jailbreak was permanent, allowing users to jailbreak their iDevices once, and stay jailbroken until a software restore or update. For iOS 4.2.1 this is no longer available, and if you jailbreak your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch running iOS 4.2.1 with Redsn0w, every time you reboot your device you need to boot into a “jailbroken state”. This is called a thetered jailbreak and it’s the only one available ( until now).
The following devices can be jailbroken thetered using Redsnow 0.9.6b4 Jailbreak:
Warning! Do not update your iDevice to iOS 4.2.1 if you need to unlock! Stay away of this update and redsnow until the new version of ultrasn0w is released ( sometime in the following week)
Follow the tutorial below to jailbreak your iPhone 4 3GS 3G, iPad or iPod Touch running iOS 4.2.1 using Redsn0w.
- Download iOS 4.2.1 for your device.
- Restore your iDevice to iOS 4.2.1 using iTunes
- Download Redsnow 0.9.6b4 for Windows | Mac.
- Run Redsnow 0.9.6b4 and choose your desired firmware ( iOS 4.2.1 for your device)
- Select “Install Cydia” and any option you might want.
- Turn off your iDevice and connect it to your computer via USB and click NEXT
- Follow the instructions prompted by Redsnow 0.9.6b4 to enter DFU mode.
- Let Redsnow work its magic. When the process will be finished your device will restart and you’ll be able to enjoy your jailbroken iOS 4.2.1
For the devices listed above under the thetered jailbreak [ iPhone 4, 3GS ( old bootrom ), iPad and iPod Touch 3G, 4G ] you need to run Redsnow and select “Just boot thetered right now” every time you reboot or you want to SSH.
Follow 2-soft for more iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch hacks and news about un-thetered jailbreak and unlock for iOS 4.2.1